Sunday 14 April 2013

Sail on the north east coast of England

Here is another blog about the future.  Round Britain Challenge will be calling in at Necastle Upon Tyne on the Weeknd of 5th - 7th July.  It will coincide with the North East Maritime Festival and we will be berthed at the quayside in the city centre.  I have loved Newcastle ever since I arrived for my interview for my PGCE at the university there... and especially the Tyne gap and its sequence of bridges.  It promises to be a very enjoyable weekend.

We'll then be setting off towards Grimsby.  I think a stop at Hartlepool would be a good idea.  I have previously visited the Historic Quay there (by land). Although it is not really old (it was built as a tourist attraction) it does provide a home for the completely genuine HMS Trincomalee.

If we arrive at the Humber in good time we could have a night at anchor at Spurn Head, or possibly go into the much recommended Hull Marina. It's right in the heart of the city:
Then the weekend of 13th - 14th July we'll be in Grimsby docks as the guests of Grimsby and Cleethorpes Yacht Club.  I wonder if it still looks like this?

There are crewing opportunities for this leg.  If you would like to join Toucando for a trip down this very interesting stretch of coastline please get in touch. toucando(at)citybeat(dot)org(dot)uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment